Leuprolide injection is a synthetic (made by man) hormone that is the same as a natural hormone that is produced in the brain. It is used for the treatment of a number of medical problems including:
- Anemia caused by bleeding from uterine leiomyomas (fibroid tumors within the uterus)
- Prostate cancer that has advanced or advanced stage.
- Central precocious puberty is a condition that causes early puberty in boys (before nine years of age) and girls (before eight years of age)
- Pain due to endometriosis.
Lupron Depot 11.25 mg is used in combination with norethindrone acetate to initially ease and manage the reoccurrence of the painful symptoms of endometriosis. It is also used in combination with iron to treat bleeding in women with anemia caused by uterine leiomyomas prior to a surgical procedure. It is given to women who need three months of hormonal suppression.
When given regularly to men, leuprolide reduces testosterone levels. Lowering the amount of testosterone in the body helps treat cancer of the prostate.
When given daily to women, leuprolide reduces estrogen levels. Lowering the amount of estrogen in the body helps treat endometriosis. Leuprolide will also shrink tumors in the uterus, which reduces vaginal bleeding and helps stop anemia.
When administered regularly to boys and girls who have early puberty, leuprolide slows the development of the genital region for both genders. Leuprolide will also slow breast development among girls. The medication will delay puberty only as long as the child continues to receive it.
This medication is only available under the prescription of your doctor.
The product is available in the following dosing forms:
- Powder for Suspension, 4 Month
- Powder for Suspension, 6 Month
- Powder for Suspension, 1 Month
- Powder for Suspension, 3 Month