Chloramphenicol – Opthalmic Ointment USP 1%
Each Gram Contains:
Chloramphenicol U. S. P 10mg (1 % w/v).
Sterile Oint Base.
Chloramphenicol ophthalmic ointment is a medication used to treat various eye infections and conditions. Here’s some information about it:
1. Active Ingredient: Chloramphenicol is the active ingredient in this ointment. It belongs to a class of antibiotics and is effective against a wide range of bacteria that can cause eye infections.
2. Indications: Chloramphenicol ophthalmic ointment is typically prescribed for bacterial eye infections such as conjunctivitis (pink eye), blepharitis (eyelid inflammation), and other eye conditions caused by susceptible bacteria.
3. How It Works: Chloramphenicol works by inhibiting the growth and reproduction of bacteria. It does this by interfering with the bacteria’s ability to produce proteins necessary for their survival and reproduction.
4. Application: It is applied topically to the eye. A small amount of ointment is typically placed in the lower conjunctival sac (the space between the lower eyelid and the eye) 2-4 times a day, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
5. Duration of Treatment: The duration of treatment will depend on the type and severity of the eye infection. It’s important to complete the full course of treatment even if symptoms improve earlier to ensure that all bacteria are eradicated.
6. Precautions: Before using chloramphenicol ointment, inform your healthcare provider of any allergies you may have and any other medications you are taking. You should not wear contact lenses while using this ointment. If you experience any allergic reactions or severe side effects (though rare), contact your healthcare provider immediately.
7. Side Effects: Common side effects may include temporary blurred vision or stinging/burning in the eyes. If you experience any unusual or severe side effects, seek medical attention promptly.
8. Storage: Store the ointment in a cool, dry place and follow the storage instructions provided on the medication packaging.
9. Prescription: Chloramphenicol ophthalmic ointment is typically available only with a prescription from a healthcare professional.
Please note that the above information is general in nature and should not replace professional medical advice. If you have been prescribed chloramphenicol ophthalmic ointment or have specific questions about its use, consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist for guidance tailored to your individual situation.